RE: EXT3 Worries

Mr. Black, et al.:

	Oh my, well, I suppose that makes me (gasp) a bit more anal! Mainly because
its my laptop we are talking about and restoration is not as easy as on a
desktop, when your mobile absent tape drives and such, hence the idea of
using EXT3 in the first place!

	I do believe that I have heard (and read) enough to believe it is very
close to being ready for prime time, but I will wait until RH (and Mandrake)
have it included as a non-experimental option in the kernel. Even in
"experimental" mode (in the kernel) most code is already relatively safe by
that point, and relatively free of bugulant code to an extent to rarely
cause major grievous problems.

	The added benefits of EXT3 are quite attractive, and I look forward to
implementing them. But, since ReiserFS is relatively safe (and in the
kernel) in the instant, I shall continue to use it until EXT3 becomes a
suitable (and as far as I am concerned) more desirable solution.

	My laptop (my high end box currently, well, I sold the Sun Ultra 5!),is
1GHz/512MB RAM/2 32GB HDs/1600x1200 LCD/Ethernet/56K
Modem/1394/DVD-CD/RW/LS-120 all built in! Yes, it's a great system (don't
worry, it left a major dent in my wallet equally as great as the system).

	One thing I learned is that if you have to compile a kernel, on a 1GHz
laptop, put in on the desk, don't run it in your lap! <SMIRK> Definitely not
in the summer anyway (maybe in the winter time back east, yes).

	I will be watching this list, and I look forward to feeling comfortable
with implementing EXT3 for myself and my customers.

Very Respectfully,

Stuart Blake Tener, IT3, USNR-R, N3GWG
Beverly Hills, California
VTU 1904G (Volunteer Training Unit)
stuart bh90210 net
west coast: (310)-358-0202 P.O. Box 16043, Beverly Hills, CA 90209-2043
east coast: (215)-338-6005 P.O. Box 45859, Philadelphia, PA 19149-5859

Telecopier: (419)-715-6073 fax to email gateway via www.efax.com (it's
free!)

JOIN THE US NAVY RESERVE, SERVE YOUR COUNTRY, AND BENEFIT FROM IT ALL.

Thursday, July 26, 2001 8:19 AM