Re: ext3 tuning parameters. what are they

Bulent Abali wrote:

> >Folks,
> >
> >it's really important that you mention the ext3 version when
> >reporting these things.
>
>      This is ext3 that comes with beta3 kernel 2.4.6-3.

Ah.  And does that report ext3 0.9.3 at mount time?

>      System memory is 2GB.  The app that I am running writes 4-5 GB worth
>      of small files.  There is lot of dirty pages in the memory.

Right.  This is a similar situation to the one Mike Black
is reporting - huge amounts of dirty data on a highmem
machine.  In his case, he's running on software RAID5 which
appears to exacerbate things.

It's an ext3/VM interaction which I just don't have the hardware
to reproduce at this time.  I would expect 0.9.4 to improve things,
however Mike reports that it doesn't make a lot of difference.
Still hunting, I'm afraid.