Re: ext3-2.4-0.9.4-246ac5 problem...

On Fri, Jul 27, 2001 at 07:56:33PM +1000, Andrew Morton wrote:

> > BTW, what about the 2.4.7-ac1 ? Will the existing patch apply
> > more or less cleanly on it or do you plan to release a patch
> > for it soon ?
> Seems like it'll apply with just the one reject.  I'd expect
> it to work OK.
> However, a lot of things went into -ac1.  I wouldn't trust
> it, personally :)

Ok, so I'll keep 2.4.6-ac5 for the holidays then, it will be

Something else too: I don't know if it is a problem with ext3 or not,
but yesterday when I turned on my laptop the maximal mount count
was reached for / and fsck was forced. Upon fs analysis, it detected
several errors which it hasn't been able to correct automatically...
I was forced to fsck it manually from the shell, and it found
several 'unlinked inodes', 'bitmap differences' etc.

It turned out that several directories were removed by the fsck
(/etc/X11/applnk for example), and the files beneath them moved
to /lost+found (about 20 files, corresponding to the gimp.desktop,
rxvt.desktop etc).

I don't recall having touched this files since the original install,
and the filesystem was correctly unmounted.

I don't really know who to blame for it: maybe on some previous
machine crash the ext3 code failed to correctly replay the journal or
maybe the filesystem was already damaged when I switched to ext3
(this was one month ago...).

Just thought to mention it, in case this tells something to you.

Stelian Pop <stelian pop fr alcove com>
|---------------- Free Software Engineer -----------------|
| Alcôve - http://www.alcove.com - Tel: +33 1 49 22 68 00 |
|------------- Alcôve, liberating software ---------------|