Re: ext3 and 2.4.5: OK, but how to convert / ?

Frédéric L. W. Meunier wrote:

> Hi. I just installed ext3 for 2.4.5 from
> http://www.uow.edu.au/~andrewm/linux/ext3/ but couldn't find
> anything about converting my root partition to ext3. 2
> partitions are now ext3 after I umount and tune2fs, but what
> should I do with / ? I tried init 1 and umount, but tune2fs
> would fail because it was on read-only fs.

I had no trouble running `tune2fs -j' on a rw-mounted
filesystem.  I need to go through all this stuff and
document and test it a little better.

One fairly serious probem with that patch is that
it tries to mount the root fs as ext2 first.  You'll
need to edit fs/Makefile and move the ext3 line so
it's above the ext2 one.

Something else I need to add to that web page is how to

1: Boot with the `init=/bin/sh' LILO option
2: /sbin/tune2fs -O '^has_journal' /dev/hdXX
3: reboot

Then, e2fsck will clean up the journal inode.  But this
step needs a bit more testing and thought.

> Another question is if I can now build ext2 as a module, and
> if it's safe.

Should be OK.  I'd make sure that I still had an ext2
kernel in LILO and /boot though....