Re: ext3 and 2.4.5: OK, but how to convert / ?

Frédéric L. W. Meunier wrote:

> On Fri, Jun 01, 2001 at 04:32:11PM +1000, Andrew Morton wrote:
> > Frédéric L. W. Meunier wrote:
> > >
> > > Hi. I just installed ext3 for 2.4.5 from
> > > http://www.uow.edu.au/~andrewm/linux/ext3/ but couldn't find
> > > anything about converting my root partition to ext3. 2
> > > partitions are now ext3 after I umount and tune2fs, but what
> > > should I do with / ? I tried init 1 and umount, but tune2fs
> > > would fail because it was on read-only fs.
> >
> > I had no trouble running `tune2fs -j' on a rw-mounted
> > filesystem.  I need to go through all this stuff and
> > document and test it a little better.
>
> OK, so I run it, edit /etc/fstab and reboot, or just remounting
> the fs will use ext3 ?

I'd suggest unmounting it, running e2fsck and then remounting.

For the root fs, I seem to recall that it is marked dirty
after tune2fs has added a journal, and your initscripts
nicely run fsck on it for you before root is mounted
rw.  But really, I need to do more work on this.  Proceed with
caution.

> > One fairly serious probem with that patch is that
> > it tries to mount the root fs as ext2 first.  You'll
> > need to edit fs/Makefile and move the ext3 line so
> > it's above the ext2 one.
>
> No problem. I read your post, changed fs/Makefile, applied all
> patches, but forgot to apply the one for e2fsprogs before
> building it. BTW, are these patches going to be in util-linux
> and e2fsprogs ?

We're still thinking about it.  I guess it'd be sensible to
ask people to use the fsck and mount patches, then if any
unforseens pop up we can try something else.