Re: ext3 and 2.4.5: OK, but how to convert / ?

On Fri, Jun 01, 2001 at 04:07:35AM -0300, Frédéric L. W. Meunier wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 01, 2001 at 04:32:11PM +1000, Andrew Morton wrote:
> > Frédéric L. W. Meunier wrote:
> > >
> > > Hi. I just installed ext3 for 2.4.5 from
> > > http://www.uow.edu.au/~andrewm/linux/ext3/ but couldn't find
> > > anything about converting my root partition to ext3. 2
> > > partitions are now ext3 after I umount and tune2fs, but what
> > > should I do with / ? I tried init 1 and umount, but tune2fs
> > > would fail because it was on read-only fs.
> >
> > I had no trouble running `tune2fs -j' on a rw-mounted
> > filesystem.  I need to go through all this stuff and
> > document and test it a little better.
>
> OK, so I run it, edit /etc/fstab and reboot, or just remounting
> the fs will use ext3 ?

This probably isn't the "correct" way to do it, but I changed /etc/fstab
to ext2, rebooted, used debugfs to remove the "has_journal" flags and
rebooted again (to run fsck).  e2fsck notified me that it was removing
the journal file.  This worked smoothly on several systems.