Re: ext3 and 2.4.5: OK, but how to convert / ?

Andrew writes:
> Fr?d?ric L. W. Meunier wrote:
> > Hi. I just installed ext3 for 2.4.5 from
> > http://www.uow.edu.au/~andrewm/linux/ext3/ but couldn't find
> > anything about converting my root partition to ext3. 2
> > partitions are now ext3 after I umount and tune2fs, but what
> > should I do with / ? I tried init 1 and umount, but tune2fs
> > would fail because it was on read-only fs.
> I had no trouble running `tune2fs -j' on a rw-mounted
> filesystem.  I need to go through all this stuff and
> document and test it a little better.

Yes, this should be put into the tune2fs man page.  While we discussed
it a lot on this and/or ext2-devel mailing list, it isn't really
documented anywhere.

> Something else I need to add to that web page is how to
> 1: Boot with the `init=/bin/sh' LILO option
> 2: /sbin/tune2fs -O '^has_journal' /dev/hdXX
> 3: reboot

This can be done on the r/w mounted root filesystem before a shutdown.
It is NOT necessary to do this if you are just going back to an ext2-only
kernel.  That kernel should be able to mount the filesystem without

The only reason to do this would be to go back to using ext2 for the
root fs on a kernel that supports ext3.  However, not everyone will
want to create/remove the journal each time they do this, so there
are a couple of possibilities:

Use the "rootfstype" kernel option patch (I thought that it would go
into the kernel proper at one point), which would allow you to specify
"rootfstype=ext2" as a kernel options and the kernel would not probe
for filesystems, but only try the specified one.

Alternately, we could put "noload" as a supported (but ignored) mount
option to ext2.  This way you can use "rootflags=noload" to cause ext3
not to load the journal (causing the ext3 mount to fail), but still
have ext2 mount OK.  If ext3 supported non-journaling mounts, you would
only need to use the "noload" option to mount an ext3 filesystem without
the journal.

Cheers, Andreas