[ext3] umount /var ext3 partition

I don't see any mention of this in the archives and maybe it's a stupid
question but...

I have a separate partition for /var and it is an ext3 partiition.  When I
try to reboot, /etc/rc.d/init.d/halt tries to umount all the filesystems
(other than /proc, /, etc) but it fails on attempting to umount /var.  I
am pretty sure that this is because kjournald is using it.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to how to deal with this?  Should I
just include /var in the list of parititions that are skipped on the first
umount attempt?  I have no particular reason to think this will work since
the halt script will later proceed to attempt to remount everything in
read-only mode which I expect to fail also.

Any recommendations or admonishments would be appreciated,
Shane