Re: Suspiciously broken filesystem

Hi,

On Wed, Jun 06, 2001 at 11:37:49AM +0100, Nigel Metheringham wrote:

> I decided to force a fsck, so did touch /forcefsck and rebooted
>
> The fsck threw up many thousands of errors, all of the form
>   INODE nnnn i_blocks is 32, should be 16
>
> with the i_blocks & should-be values various multiples of 8.

Hmm, that doesn't ring any bells here.

> I suspect that parted has screwed up, and so ext3 has been running on a
> losing wicket ever since... however even after the fsck (which obviously
> won't be able to fix everything if parted has broken things), I am still
> seeing the previous symptoms with TSM and perl

Can you do another forced fsck and see if there is still corruption
being caused?  That would help a great deal.  Also, knowing exactly
which checkout from cvs you are using would be helpful.  Finally, can
you strace the perl script and send me the breaking bits?  A
reproducible error like that ought to be easy to find and fix.

What does TSM do for its backups?  If it accesses the block device
directly (as dump does), that may cause problems.