Re: [NFS] Re: Export knfsd/ext3 on doubly patched kernel(knfsd/reiserfs) OK?

On Friday June 1, sct redhat com wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Fri, Jun 01, 2001 at 04:56:27PM +0800, Richard Shih-Ping Chan wrote:
> > Hi - if I have a doubly patched kernel (2.4.5)
> >  (1) Apply gkernel/CVS ext3 patches
> >  (2) Apply Neil Brown/Reiserfs team  knfsd and reiserfs patches
> >
> > Will ext3 be exportable by knfsd (i.e. inherit automagically
> > the nfsd_operations thingies from ext2) or does it need further
> > patching?
>
> It probably won't work.  Reiserfs's knfsd patches need all other
> filesystems to be patched afaik, and ext3 doesn't have that.  ext3 on
> plain 2.4 should work with nfs fine.  I think the Reiserfs people are
> planning a less invasive knfsd patch which works without modifying
> other filesystems, but I don't know the status of that just yet.

I've reviewed and revised it and it's current form is at:

 http://cgi.cse.unsw.edu.au/~neilb/patches/linux/2.4.6-pre1/patch-A-reisernfs

but I found a little bug in knfsd while testing this, so I will
probably revise it at least once before it goes to Linus.

How stable is ext3fs on 2.4?  I am keen to use it but I need quotas
and last I heard they weren't there yet...

NeilBrown