Re: making 0.0.6b a module

Hi,

On Mon, Jun 04, 2001 at 08:44:37PM +0100, Steve Dodd wrote:
> On Sun, Jun 03, 2001 at 06:11:57PM -0400, Peter Bowen wrote:
>
> > I have ext3 0.0.6b + 2.2.19 and cannot get ext3 to compile as a module.
> > If I try to modularize it, or turn in off completely, the kernel build
> > fails.  Is there an easy fix for this, or is there something that I am
> > missing?
>
> I ran into this too. It appears that it's known not to work, but may not be
> fixed in the immediate future, see
> <URL:http://www.linuxarkivet.nu/mlists/ext3-users/0101/msg00034.html>.

Right.  It's easy enough to fix, but there's not a lot of benefit to
be had from it --- the 2.2 ext3 code embeds its journaling information
inside the normal buffer_heads so you are paying a memory penalty just
for applying the ext3 patches.  It doesn't make a lot of sense
therefore to apply them and not to use them.

Right now the priority for ext3 on 2.2 is stability.  The separation
of the journaling information into separate structures and the
modularising of the code has been done for 2.4, but I don't want to
back-port that and risk destabilising the 2.2 code unless there is
overwhelming demand for it.