Re: Mounting / as ext3 when ext3 is modularized in 2.4

Stephen writes:
> On Tue, Jun 12, 2001 at 11:09:12AM +0200, Fabrice Bellet wrote:
> > I recently switched from 2.2 to 2.4 kernel. Each partition already contains
> > a journal. I tried kernel-2.4.5-0.2.9 from RedHat Rawhide, where ext3/jbd is
> > modularized. For the people who want to try this kernel, you first need to
> > rebuild it, and enable CONFIG_JBD_DEBUG. This solves an unresolved symbol
> > in jbd.o which prevents ext3 to load. (This issue will be solved in next
> > RawHide)
> >
> > My question is on how to tell the kernel to mount the real root partion
> > as ext3, when you load the ext3 module in the initrd ?
>
> It will probably require a new "mount" binary which can autodetect the
> presense of a journal on an ext2 filesystem.  There were patches to
> util-linux posted a while back for that, but it's not integrated yet.

I don't think mount should be changed, for several reasons:
- if you are mounting the root filesystem via "mount" in initrd, then you
  just need to tell it to use type ext3 instead of ext2
- if the mount is done by the kernel (which does not appear to be the case
  here), then you would need a kernel patch "rootfstype" to select the
  root filesystem type (there was a good one available before 2.4.0 hit,
  but it didn't make it into the kernel because of "feature freeze")
- if mount "automagically" mounts any ext2 filesystem with a journal as
  ext3, then this is broken because it will prevent you from ever mounting
  such a filesystem as ext2

Now, if you are talking about the patches to mount which let you specify
a list of filesystem types to try, like "mount -t ext3,ext2" then that
is a different issue (which does not involve detecting a journal).

Cheers, Andreas