Re: Mounting / as ext3 when ext3 is modularized in 2.4

Hi,

On Tue, Jun 12, 2001 at 10:56:23AM -0600, Andreas Dilger wrote:
> - if you are mounting the root filesystem via "mount" in initrd, then you
>   just need to tell it to use type ext3 instead of ext2
> - if the mount is done by the kernel (which does not appear to be the case
>   here), then you would need a kernel patch "rootfstype" to select the
>   root filesystem type (there was a good one available before 2.4.0 hit,
>   but it didn't make it into the kernel because of "feature freeze")

I solved this with a mount call at the end of /linuxrc in the initrd where
I force the type of the filesystem to ext3.  Be sure to create a /initrd
directory in the real root filesystem to allow the kernel to move
the old rootfs there. (mkinitrd provides an interpreter -nash- dedicated
to the /linuxrc script that basically understand echo/insmod/mount)

Thanks for the idea to call mount in initrd :-)

--
Fab