Re: Inconsistent ext3fs after crash (2.2.19/0.0.7a)

Florian Lohoff wrote:

> On Sun, Jun 17, 2001 at 11:04:22AM +1000, Andrew Morton wrote:
> > Files on /var tend to be opened in funny modes - lock files
> > with O_SYNC or whatever.  Might be violating ordering in some manner.
> >
> > Could you please try a couple of things?
> >
> > 1: Use in-kernel recovery, not fsck recovery.  On RH systems
> >    you can do this by creating the file /fastboot (I think) or
> >    by adding `fastboot' to the kernel boot line.  Or you could
> >    simply boot with `init=/bin/sh' and do the mount by hand.
> >
> >    Once the mount+recovery has completed, please unmount and run
> >    fsck by hand.  If it comes up clean then it may be an
> >    e2fsprogs problem.
>
> I just waited until the fsck bombed out on startup - used the shell
> to mount and unmount the fs and let the fsck -yf run immediatly.
> The error was still there.

That won't test in-kernel recovery!  fsck will do its own recovery
before mounting the fs.

My problem is that I don't have a separate /var, so /var is
always recovered by the in-kernel recovery.  I'll set that up.

If it's not too much trouble, could you please boot with
`init=/bin/sh', then mount /var by hand, then unmount it
and run fsck?   Thanks.

> > 2: It would be very interesting to find out what file is causing
> >    this.  Could you please run `ls -lRi /var > /tmp/foo' before
> >    you crash, then afterwards, look up the offending inode
> >    in /tmp/foo.  Once we know its filename, things may become
> >    clearer.
>
> The inode isnt in use before i pull out the pcmcia card it seems.
> >From the inode number i guess its a pid file in /var/run beeing
> created on pulling the pcmcia card. Probably an strace on the
> pcmcia cardmgr will help to see the last fs op. Ill try that
> in a second:

Curious.  cardmgr doesn't seem to be doing anything special.
Just `fopen()'.