ext3 and 2.4.x-smp

    I am running a RH6/7ish system on an abit bp6 with 2.4-test12 -smp
running rock solid. I have a new drive that I want to use to test out a
journa;ing file system on, and thus far have not been happy with
reiserfs and have been waiting for ext3 on 2.4 (I had been considering
xfs as an alternative but from what i've read it's a little too robust
for my needs).
    Anyway, I guess I am missing a few things before I make a decision.
I know there were some problems back in the day with smp and ext3 for
the 2.4.x kernels.  After reading the post about 'VALinux's 2.4.5 beta
kernel with Ext3' I am still not sure on the state of ext3 with regards
to smp systems. Can anyone shed some light on this for me. Thanks, -peel