Re: removing visible journal.dat

Douglas J. Hunley writes:
> I created all my ext3 partitions a while back, so the journal.dat file is
> visable. I'd like to remove them and use the new tune2fs functionality.
> Can I just mount the drives as ext2, rm journal.dat, tune2fs -j /dev/hd?? and
> then remount as ext3? Or am I missing something?

Your procedure is mostly correct.  You need to unmount the filesystem
and run e2fsck on it before running tune2fs if you want a hidden journal.
If you can't unmount the filesystem, you can easily rename journal.dat to
.journal (this is what tune2fs calls it if it is created on a mounted fs).
It is safe because ext3 accesses the journal by inode number and not name.

You may also have to turn off the immutable flag (chattr -i journal.dat)
if you are deleting it.

Note that recent versions of ext2 dump (0.4b21 I think) check for a
journal inode number and do not dump it.  I don't know if GNU tar checks
the nodump file attribute or not, so the journal in reserved inode 8 is
safest.

Cheers, Andreas