From: ext3-users-admin redhat com [mailto:ext3-users-admin redhat com]On
Behalf Of Andreas Dilger
Sent: Wednesday, March 07, 2001 3:42 PM
To: ext3-users redhat com
Subject: Re: RH 6.2 + VA Linux Enhancements (includes ext3 0.5b) Problem

Daniel J. Levine writes:
> This leads me to VA Linux's 6.2.3 distribution.  Basically, they take RH
6.2
> and add power tools and bug fixes and some newer technologies.  One of
these
> integrated technologies happens to be ext3.  If I look in
> /usr/src/linux-2.2.14/fs/ext3/CHANGES I find a file that says the version
is
> 0.5b.
>
> Unfortunately, step 5 produces and error I am unable to deal with:
>
> JFS: no valid journal superblock found
> EXT3-fs: error loading journal
> EXT3-fs: get root I-node failed
>
> Any chance anyone knows what's wrong here?

Known bug with how the kernel initializes the journal features.  It is
fixed in later releases of ext3 (not sure exactly when).  You _could_
use the new e2fsprogs to create your journal for you (which would fix
_this_ problem), which would only involve "tune2fs -j /dev/hdx".

However, 0.0.5b is a bit old and other problems have been fixed since then.

Cheers, Andreas