Re: Ext3 step by step installation procedure

Matija Nalis writes:
> Can one get rid of journal filename if ext3 was created with "dd" method (or
> tune2fs on mounted filesystem) ?

> I assume I can't just rm the journal.dat (probaby marking all those blocks
> free and leading to massive filesystem corruption).

Correct.  That would be a bad thing.

> I think I could umount filesystem, use debugfs to clear all flags relating
> to journal, and then run "tune2fs -j" to create it again using new method
> (and use hidden inode without filename). Is this true?

> Is there an easier way (perhaps without the need to umount the partition
> with all unpleasant side-effects like needing to terminate all processes
> using it etc.) ?

No.  Considering that not very many people will need to do this, then it
is not worth the effort.  The old "dd" method will not be used anymore,
now that tune2fs and mke2fs can handle journals.  There is also little
reason to create a journal on a mounted filesystem, except for the
root fs.  All others you need to remount anyways to activate ext3,
so you may as well just create the journal when it is unmounted.

> I just hate when backup system keeps backing up the journal (and I'd like to
> avoid messing with already too_complex_for_mere_humans_to_understand regexps
> that backup system is using).

I'm submitting a patch to ext2 "dump" which will put the journal inode in
the exclude list automatically.  If you don't use dump, then this won't
help you.

Cheers, Andreas