Re: is this null block OK?

Hi,

On Mon, Mar 12, 2001 at 06:37:07PM -0800, Peter J. Braam wrote:

> A system running ext3 crashed this afternoon (nothing to do with ext3, bad
> network driver).   Is was saving a file from emacs when it happened.  The
> file system is 0.06b and had ordered data as the mount option.   Let me
> emphasize this was running ext3 pure, not with SnapFS or InterMezzo layered
> on top of it.

Which e2fsprogs?

This sounds like the classic symptoms of an old e2fsck.  The revoke
bug fixed in my current version could cause a revoke to be missed on
replay, so an old journal entry could be replayed over a newer data
block.  Typically it would be a directory block or indirect block that
you might see in the middle of a just-saved file after recovery.

Or was the recovery being done by the kernel for this filesystem?  If
the filesystem is in fstab and isn't the root, it's probably getting
recovered by e2fsck instead.