Re: argh, power off

Ed June writes:
> Anywho, here's want happened when I powered up:
>
> EXT3-fs: WARNING: recovery required on readonly filesystem.
> EXT3-fs: write access will be enabled during recovery.
> JFS DEBUG: (recovery.c, 255): journal_recover: JFS: recovery, exit status 0,
> recovered transactions 1422 to 1589
> JFS DEBUG: (recovery.c, 257): journal_recover: JFS: Replayed 1670 and revoked
> 0/119 blocks
> EXT3-fs: 08:01: orphan cleanup on read-only fs
> EXT3-fs: 08:01: 1 orphan inode deleted
> EXT3-fs: recovery complete.
> EXT3-fs: mounted filesystem with ordered data mode.
> VFS: Mounted root (ext3 filesystem) readonly.

This is kernel root fs recovery - you can see there was a bunch of data
in the journal.  Also the "orphan" - a file that was deleted but held open.

> EXT3-fs: mounted filesystem with ordered data mode.
> EXT3-fs: mounted filesystem with ordered data mode.
> EXT3-fs: mounted filesystem with ordered data mode.

Your other filesystems being mounted (recovery was done in user-space by
e2fsck).

> Everything seems otay, its just that this is all new to me.

It all looks OK.  Maybe a bit more verbose than ext2, but a lot faster...

> Also, it says the filesystems were past the max date and needed checking.

Yes, this happens even for ext2 - at 6 months by default.  It is just a
safety measure against bit-rot or hardware problems.

Cheers, Andreas