Re: argh, power off

Hi,

On Thu, Mar 15, 2001 at 09:02:55PM -0500, buggz wrote:

> Anywho, here's want happened when I powered up:
>
> EXT3-fs: WARNING: recovery required on readonly filesystem.
> EXT3-fs: write access will be enabled during recovery.

That's normal: it just means that you are mounting the root filesystem
readonly, but ext3 needs to write to the disk temporarily during the
mount to recover from the crash.

> JFS DEBUG: (recovery.c, 255): journal_recover: JFS: recovery, exit status 0,
> recovered transactions 1422 to 1589
> JFS DEBUG: (recovery.c, 257): journal_recover: JFS: Replayed 1670 and revoked
> 0/119 blocks
> EXT3-fs: 08:01: orphan cleanup on read-only fs
> EXT3-fs: 08:01: 1 orphan inode deleted
> EXT3-fs: recovery complete.

Just informative messages about the recovery being done after the
crash.

> EXT3-fs: mounted filesystem with ordered data mode.

Normal mount message.

So yes, all of this is normal.

> Also, it says the filesystems were past the max date and needed checking.
> Are my existing startup scripts correct for ext3?  I use rh6.2 btw...

The scripts are fine.  "man tune2fs" for information about how to set
the per-filesystem parameters which determine how often a forced fsck
is performed: the same parameters apply to ext3 as for ext2.