converting /usr partition

Hi,
 I just started testing ext3 and perhaps I missed some docs explaining
how to convert system partition other than /, like /usr for example .
As I have 2 Linux versions on my test machine, I managed to convert /usr
by entering the
    mount -o journal=NNN

command from the second OS, but I don't like it.
Any suggestions or docs to look at?

Thanks in advance
    Vieri
begin:vcard
n:Sacchi;Vieri
tel;fax:02 95732078
tel;work:02 95732078
x-mozilla-html:TRUE
url:www.linuxexperts.it
org:LinuxExperts Italia
adr:;;Piazza Risorgimento 3/5;Melzo;;20066;Italia
version:2.1
email;internet:vieri sacchi linuxexperts it
title:Direttore tecnico
x-mozilla-cpt:;13312
fn:Vieri Sacchi
end:vcard