Re: freeing, allocating and free blocks in Ext3

Chris Mason wrote:

> On Saturday, April 28, 2001 10:47:34 PM -0700 "Peter J. Braam"
> <braam mountainviewdata com> wrote:
>
> [ freed blocks not immediately available for data blocks on ext3 ]
>
> I think it is better to have the allocation routines do:
>
> if (allocate data block == disk full) {
>     transaction end
>     transaction start
>     if (allocate data block == disk full) {
>         return disk full
>     }
> }
>
> Not pretty, but this way you only return disk full when it really is full.
>
> metadata allocations won't have to jump through this hoop.

I believe Peter's main concern is that statfs() isn't
telling the truth.  It's telling us that N blocks are
available, when they really aren't available yet because
they're being held up in non-allocatable state until the
transaction which released them has committed.

statfs() is always going to be approximate (ie: racy) in
the presence of other tasks which are using the fs.  But
I suggest that if it's going to be in error, it should
under-report free space, not over-report.

I suspect the fix is fairly simple:

- when we set a bit in ->b_committed_data, increment
  transaction->t_pending_free_blocks and increment
  journal->j_pending_free_blocks.

- when a transaction's commit record hits disk, subtract
  its t_pending_free_blocks from journal->j_pending_free_blocks

- In ext3_count_free_blocks(), grab the BKL and return
  s_free_blocks_count - j_pending_free_blocks.

A question is whether the free block counts in the committed
ext3 superblock and group descriptors is always correct,
particularly across a large truncate which needed journal
extension.  It should be OK as long as the superblock and
changed group descriptor blocks are always included in each
transaction.  Needs some deep thought.