Re: increasing the size of the journal data file

Hi,

On Fri, May 04, 2001 at 01:09:53PM +0200, uaca alumni uv es wrote:
> On Wed, May 02, 2001 at 10:26:01AM -0600, Andreas Dilger wrote:
> > Ulisses writes:
> > > I'm running succesfully 2.2.19pre13ext3
> > > as mentioned in the subject line, I would like to increase the journal file
> >
> > Why do you want to increase the size of the journal?
>
> for "safety", to be sure it doesn't fills up

It won't.  Ever.  Or at least, it shouldn't.  :-)  If it fills up, the
filesystem will deadlock, so the kernel _always_ preallocates space
for a transaction before allowing the transaction to start.  Only a
severe kernel bug could allow the journal to fill up, and such a bug
would not depend on the journal size.

> > How big is it now?
>
> it's a 5MByte size for a 1.6GByte partition on a 7200rpm IDE hard disk,
> it's for the /var directory

That's probably fine.