Re: Ext3 destroying ownerships and permissions

Hi,

On Wed, May 09, 2001 at 08:50:34PM +0200, Johan Ekenberg wrote:

> A few weeks ago we upgraded 9 large webservers from ext2 to ext3. Since then we've seen very strange behavior on several of the machines. Permissions of files are repeatedly changed at random occasions. Several  times, ownership of files have been totally mangled. Several users have logged in to discover that all their files suddenly are owned by another user! At two of these occasions the machine froze and rebooted when we started to chown the files back to their real owner.

OK, a few questions:

Did you see any _other_ fs effects?  Contents of the files changing,
for example?  I can't imagine any possible fs corruption which would
touch permissions but leave the rest of the inode data intact.

Did you have any unplanned recoveries?

> There are no fs related kernel error messages, nothing to indicate that the kernel knows that something is wrong. I'd be happy to provide you with more information if needed.

If you have any more, then yes, please.  I assume you're using
hardware raid only, no soft raid?

I'm not sure where to start, here --- this has never been reported
before and I don't know of anything in the VFS that could be so
specific in its corruption.