Re: Ext3 destroying ownerships and permissions

On Wed, May 09, 2001 at 08:29:28PM +0100, Stephen C. Tweedie wrote:
> I'm not sure where to start, here --- this has never been reported
> before and I don't know of anything in the VFS that could be so
> specific in its corruption.

Well, the on-disk inode looks like:

struct ext2_inode {
        __u16   i_mode;         /* File mode */
        __u16   i_uid;          /* Owner Uid */
};

Perhaps there should be an address to a field being passed somewhere,
and instead, the address of the inode structure is being passed?

That would explain changing modes and owners, and nothing else ...
But what could affect so many files, except perhaps atime?

Just a thought ...

Regards,

  Bill Rugolsky