SV: SV: SV: Ext3 destroying ownerships and permissions

> > No. It's intact. And like I said earlier: not all the files
> belonging
> > to a user had their ownership changed, just some files. But
> when change
> > of ownership has occured it seems to happen to *all* the files under
> > some directory. See my earlier post for an example of what happened
> > to 10 users with unames f*.
>
> Could you define this a little better?  Is it always the user's
> top-level directory which gets affected?  When a directory is
> affected, are subdirectories always affected too?  What sort of
> applications are you running?  When the effect happens, what sort of
> uids do the file ownerships get changed to --- a different but
> systematically consistent uid, or to a bunch of different random
> values, or what?

Until now it has always been a users top-level directory, and ALL
subdirectories and files under that are affected. The uids have all
been changed to one different but systematically consistent uid.
The different uid has had a close proximity to the first uid in that
they share the same parent-directory (/home/f in the example).

These are the basic services that we run:
 - Apache
 - MySQL server
 - sendmail
 - inetd serving POP3, IMAP, telnet, ftp
 - sshd

  The servers are quite heavily loaded. The load averages range from 0.5
to 7 during a normal day.
  Regular backups of mail and MySQL are run periodically every 15/30
minutes, full/incremental backups are run nightly. Backups are currently
done to very large IDE disks.

Regards,
/Johan Ekenberg