Re: SV: SV: SV: Ext3 destroying ownerships and permissions

Hi,

On Thu, May 10, 2001 at 03:21:36PM +0200, Johan Ekenberg wrote:

> Until now it has always been a users top-level directory, and ALL
> subdirectories and files under that are affected.

There is nothing in the filesystem itself which walks through
directories touching all files underneath.

There is nothing in the filesystem which treats user top-level
directories specially, or which understands where different permission
worlds start or stop in a directory tree.

The filesystem on its own *cannot* explain such behaviour.  There has
to be an application interaction.  What that interaction is is the
important thing to find out.

The only thing I can even imagine doing a complete rename on some uid
to another is a change in /etc/passwd or NIS password files.

You also mentioned that permissions had changed at one point.  Do you
have examples of that?  Do you have examples of what happens
*numerically* to the uids (ignoring the usernames concerned) --- is
there a pattern there?

In all of this, are the file contents themselves OK in every case?

>   Regular backups of mail and MySQL are run periodically every 15/30
> minutes, full/incremental backups are run nightly.

Dump or tar/cpio?  Do the faults coincide with backup runs?

To be honest, this sounds almost inexplicable right now, so _any_
possibly-relevant information that occurs to you would be most useful!

Thanks,