Re: SV: SV: SV: Ext3 destroying ownerships and permissions

On Thu, May 10, 2001 at 02:46:43PM +0100, Stephen C. Tweedie wrote:
> To be honest, this sounds almost inexplicable right now, so _any_
> possibly-relevant information that occurs to you would be most useful!

So far I haven't seen any of the following details mentioned in this thread:

1. Were you running 2.2.19 w/o ext3 prior to upgrading, or did you
   upgrade from ext2 on a prior kernel directly to 2.2.19 + ext3?

2. What version of gcc are you using?  (Perhaps an optimizer bug is getting
   a structure offset wrong?)

3. As Stephen mentioned, how are you doing backups?  For example, are you
   using cpio with -a, i.e., --reset-access-time?

4. What are the numerical values of permissions and uids?

The more data that you feed into the global pattern recognition engine, the
more likely somebody like AC will say something like "compiler x.y.z
miscompiles foo.c" :-)

Though I have no familiarity with the quota code (and never use it here),
is it plausible that that is the cause of the halt when doing chown -R ?

Regards,

   Bill Rugolsky