Re: ext3 on 2.4.4

On Thu, May 31, 2001 at 12:21:50AM -0400, Bryan J. Smith wrote:
> "Stephen C. Tweedie" wrote:
> > The 2.4 is *much* less mature than the 2.2 code at the moment.

No kidding.

> So, with that said, where do you see SGI's XFS, admist your own Ext3
> efforts as well ReiserFS being in the stock kernel as of 2.4.1?

Err, XFS is kind of a red herring.  For all the typical small file stuff
it's just too many lines of code to get the job done.  Yeah, it has all
the features any marketing dweeb would want, but it takes to long to do
a creat, a delete, a rename.  Getting those fast is a lot more important
to the masses than have 16 million files in one directory.

For the big file stuff, XFS isn't the win, XLV was the win.  XFS'
contribution to making things go fast was to back the hell out of the
way and let the logical volume manager do the DMAs.  The day that SGI
lets XLV out the door, I'll be a happy camper, that was some nice work.
XFS was OK, but it really is quite heavy weight for what should be
light weight operations.
--
---