Re: ext3 on 2.4.4

On Thu, May 31, 2001 at 08:44:47PM +0100, Stephen C. Tweedie wrote:

> Using NVRAM for the journal is certainly possible in principle and
> I've got irons in the fire to get my hands on such. :-)  You can
> already at least do performance testing by using a ramdisk as a
> journal.  Not much good if your system dies, of course!

I already did some quick performance testing using a ramdisk as a
journal, using Marcelo's unofficial patches (the ones that didn't
reflect V2 journal superblock format).  I'm not sure I still have the
numbers though; I can check.

E2fsprogs already has the code to create external journals (although
we need to redo some e2fsck support code so that e2fsck can support
reading the journal either from a journal or from journal that has
extracted saved to a file to support the shared journal case).

The main thing that's missing at this point before we can do more
performance tuning is the kernel support code so that it can use an
external journal... unless that snuck into 0.6b when I wasn't looking.  :-)

						- Ted