Re: Ext3 partition not appearing in df output

Hi,

On Thu, Nov 01, 2001 at 04:04:55PM +0100, Matija Nalis wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 01, 2001 at 02:01:21PM +0000, Stephen C. Tweedie wrote:
> > For reliable operation of standard mount points, we want to have fs types
> > specified in /etc/fstab as accurately as possible.  However, there is
> > still good reason to want user-space to be able to autodetect other
> > cases: udf versus iso9660 depending on media type for /dev/dvd, for
> > example, or ext3 vs ext2 depending on kernel capabilities.
>
> Ok, so why not extend fstab(5) fs_vfstype field (and mount(8) -t switch) to
> be able to have multiple filesystem specified ?

fsck would need to be updated too, and that gets more tricky.
Andreas's device lib would allow us to share some of the required code
between the two.  Mounting as one fs type and falling back to another
is probably easier than trying to do the same with fsck (fsck on a
filesystem that doesn't quite look how we expect is dangerous if the
fsck decides to patch things up rather than fail!)

For ext3,ext2 it's not a problem: we use the same fsck binary for
both.  For iso9660 it's not a problem: that fs is readonly (no fsck).
But the general case isn't quite so simple.