Re: ext3 partition still gets mounted as ext2

Hi,

On Thu, Nov 01, 2001 at 04:16:22PM -0700, Peter J. Braam wrote:
> I know, but I've gone through this many times already removing and
> creating the journal inode, but even that has been a big hassle:
>
> So why is this for example:
>
> [root cs /root]# tune2fs -O "^has_journal" /dev/hda3
> tune2fs 1.25 (20-Sep-2001)
> [root cs /root]# tune2fs -j /dev/hda3
> tune2fs 1.25 (20-Sep-2001)
> Creating journal inode:
> tune2fs: Permission denied
> 	while trying to create journal file

If the filesystem is mounted, then the journal is in a normal
"/.journal" inode which is, other than being used for the journal,
otherwise a normal file.  It is created with the immutable attribute,
and like any other immutable file, you need to chattr -i before you
can delete it.

We should probably add a warning to tune2fs in this case to tell the
user why the tune2fs -j is probably failing, although it is still a
useful safety net so I'd still rather ask the user to do the chattr
rather than doing it automatically in this case.