Re: ext3 partition still gets mounted as ext2

On Nov 01, 2001  10:28 -0700, Peter J. Braam wrote:
> I have one filesystem which has _exactly_ this problem too on 2.4.9,
> and I don't know how to fix it either.  Another issue with this
> situation is that this file system is being e2fsck'd on each reboot!
>
> My tune2fs -h doesn't work, -l shows:

My fault, I meant "dumpe2fs -h", which produces exactly the same output as
"tune2fs -l" anyways.

> Filesystem features:      filetype sparse_super

The filesystem is of the impression that it doesn't have a journal
(no has_journal feature).

> BTW, for fixing these problems, it would be handy if one could delete
> a journal file with tune2fs -D or so.

Yes, I had thought about this a couple of times also.  The danger is that
we don't want to kill a user's file if it happens to be called .journal,
regardless of how unlikely that is (maybe it's someone's secret diary?).

What I just thought about was that in the case where the file already
exists, but the superblock doesn't have a journal bit set, we can check
the file for a valid journal superblock and we just re-initialize the
file and set the has_journal flag and the journal inode field.

This would eliminate the (apparently common) case where the has_journal
field is lost, and people want to re-create a journal on a mounted fs
like root.  Note that in the most recent versions of e2fsck, it will
automatically remove the .journal direntry and shift the blocks over to
the reserved (hidden) journal inode to avoid such problems in the future.

Hmm, is there any chance that this new feature is causing some of these
problems?  Peter had you done any changes to your ext3 setup recently,
or was it a mysterious breakage?  I imagine that you have been using
ext3 for a long time now, so it surprises me to see that you are having
problems suddenly.

Cheers, Andreas
--
Andreas Dilger