Re: Extended Attributes and Access Control Lists

On Thu, 1 Nov 2001, Peter J. Braam wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'd like to just add my 2 cts worth to this:
>
> [...]
>
>  - I am working with folks that will likely want to have EA's bigger
>  than a block to store versioning information.  We have discussed
>  implementing such EA's by building a directory (or directory tree ala
>  squid) with lots of files each of which represents the EA for the
>  inode given by the filename.

What kind of information do expect will end up in EA's in that case? Going
beyond the one-block limit would be possible in the current scheme,
although I don't want to go there at the moment.

It seems we are again discussing file-like resources (like Mac HFS/NTFS
resource forks) versus bounded-length EA's (XFS, etc.).

My thinking is that both schemes make sense for different uses.
Bounded-length EA's are slightly more efficient for small things like
ACLs, Capabilities, tags like author name, character encodings and so on,
while file-like resources are more flexible.

For file-like schemes I think a directory like scheme makes most sense,
basically like this:

  $ create_image huge.jpg
  $ create_thumbnail huge.jpg >huge.jpg#thumbnail.jpg
  $ ls huge.jpg#
  thumbnail.jpg

(I am not proposing to implement this!)

--Andreas.