Re: ext3 partition still gets mounted as ext2 for me too!

I am not the biggest expert on initrd's. What I know is from the SuSE
documentation and their linuxrc doesn't actually mount the root
filesystem. It writes something to the proc filesystem and exits and
then leaves it to the kernel to do the right thing. The kernel then
figures out which driver to use and it seems to pick the ext2 driver
because it is higher up on its list.

SuSE probably wanted to keep the kernel minimal and wanted the drivers
to come up through initrd and so they only kept ext2 in the kernel. In
case of JFS or other filesystems, it doesn't really matter since there
is no confusion and that's probably why they didn't anticipate this
situation. I am cc'ing this message to the suse-linux-e suse com mailing
list so that someone will see this message and hopefully there will be
an update. It is a bit inconvenient to recompile the kernel for every
machine that needs to have an ext3 root filesystem :-)

Anyway, I recompiled the kernel with both ext2 and ext3 drivers  and
everything is working fine. Thanks to you and Andreas for your
suggestions.

Thanks.
Devang

--