partition not found when remounting in RW mode

Hi,

I installed RH 7.2 with the original kernel and decided to use ext3 as
the fs.
All partitions are now ext3.
This is working fine as long as I'm using the original kernels.
Now I wanted to compile my own kernel (2.4.13), but there seems to be a
problem.
When it it tries to remount my root partition / in RW, I get an error
message that the partition cannot be found.
When I reboot using the original kernel I starts up without any problems
again.

What did I forget to do ?
Is a kernelmodule missing, do I have to recreate the journal ?

Thank you very much in advance...

Best regards,
Rob Hassing