Re: Ext3 and external journals...

On Fri, Nov 02, 2001 at 12:06:32PM +1100, Neil Brown wrote:

>  I am trying out ext3 with an external journal (on a battery backed
>  RAM card).  I use data=journal, and sync nfs writes go nice and fast :-)

Which battery-backed RAM card are you using?  I've been wanting to
make a list available of non-volatile RAM cards that are both (a)
cheap, and (b) work with Linux, so I'm curious which card you're playing with.

>  If I "fsck /dev/md1", it says
>
>     Parallelizing fsck version 1.22 (22-Jun-2001)
>     e2fsck 1.22, 22-Jun-2001 for EXT2 FS 0.5b, 95/08/09
>     Superblock has external ext3 journal device (unsupported).

E2fsprogs 1.23 was the first version that supported external journals,
but some bugs weren't worked out until 1.24, and I'd strongly suggest
that you use e2fsprogs 1.25 if you're playing with such bleeding-edge
features.

I'm really glad that you're playing with the external journal feature.
I can't quite recommend that you use it for production data just yet,
since we haven't had that many people report success using it.  So if
it does work out for you, please let us know!!

						- Ted