Re: Ext3 and external journals...

On Saturday November 3, tytso mit edu wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 02, 2001 at 12:06:32PM +1100, Neil Brown wrote:
> >
> >  I am trying out ext3 with an external journal (on a battery backed
> >  RAM card).  I use data=journal, and sync nfs writes go nice and fast :-)
>
> Which battery-backed RAM card are you using?  I've been wanting to
> make a list available of non-volatile RAM cards that are both (a)
> cheap, and (b) work with Linux, so I'm curious which card you're
> playing with.

It is a Micro Memory MM-5415CN-1G.  One Gigabyte of battery backed RAM
for about $AU3000.  Not exactly cheap, but definately affordable.  You
can get smaller capacity for smaller dollars.
 http://www.umem.com/
They have a Linux driver that makes it look like a partitionable block
device.

> >  If I "fsck /dev/md1", it says
> >
> >     Parallelizing fsck version 1.22 (22-Jun-2001)
> >     e2fsck 1.22, 22-Jun-2001 for EXT2 FS 0.5b, 95/08/09
> >     Superblock has external ext3 journal device (unsupported).
>
> E2fsprogs 1.23 was the first version that supported external journals,
> but some bugs weren't worked out until 1.24, and I'd strongly suggest
> that you use e2fsprogs 1.25 if you're playing with such bleeding-edge
> features.

Ok, I'll grab the latest and see where it gets me.

> I'm really glad that you're playing with the external journal feature.
> I can't quite recommend that you use it for production data just yet,
> since we haven't had that many people report success using it.  So if
> it does work out for you, please let us know!!

Will do.

NeilBrown