Re: Journal Usage

On Nov 02, 2001  18:36 -0800, Mike Fedyk wrote:
> I have a large journal of 400MB (the max for 4k blocks), and I'd like to be
> able to check how much of it is being used.

I don't think it is currently possible to do this.

> If it's not being used that much, I'd like to know if the writes *from* the
> journal to the rest of the disk could be delayed until a certain percentage
> of the journal has been used.
>
> It would be nice to be able to get more contiguous writes to the journal for
> bursty types of loads...

You can make the journal flush interval longer, so that it will flush only
when the journal is getting full, rather than after a fixed amount of time.
This may not be ideal either, because if you are forced to flush because
the journal is getting full it will likely be just at a time when you want
to write into it.

I suppose if you find that the large journal is not even close to filling
up you could increase the flush interval until it fills to about 1/5
full under normal usage.  It will flush itself when it reaches 1/4 full,
so this gives you a bit of a window to flush an idle journal.

Cheers, Andreas
--
Andreas Dilger