Re: 2.4.13 kernel on Redhat 7.2

Nate Faerber wrote:

> I have tried everything to compile a new kernel on my
> 7.2 base system. I have used 2.4.13-ac6 and 2.4.13 w/
> ext3 patch. I have compiled with ext3 built-in and
> with ext3 as module (with the initrd). I have a SCSI
> system so I have done the previous variations with
> both SCSI support built-in and modular (with the
> initrd). The error I get is:
>
> Remounting root filesystem in read-write mode: mount:
> no such partition found
>
> The previous messages show that the root directory is
> properly mounted as ext2 initially and that ext3 is
> loaded with kjournald running.

I think your root partition is being mounted as ext2,
and you're specifying ext3 in /etc/fstab, so `mount'
tries something like:

	mount / -o remount,rw -t ext3

and then it dies because the partition isn't ext3.  I think.

Please run `tune2fs -j' against the root filesystem's device
node to turn it into ext3, and statically link ext3 into the kernel.

If that doesn't work, please send the first 30 lines of
`dumpe2fs /dev/hdXX' (where hdXX is the root partition) and
also the relevant boot-time messages.