Re: no free space on root?

Hi,

On Fri, Nov 02, 2001 at 08:05:47AM -0500, Brenden Walker wrote:

> I went into single user mode, umounted my other filesystems except my home
> which has gobs of room.  did an ls -RAh > \home\files.lst.  Took this list
> into work and plugged it into a spreadsheet, removed the entries for Home
> and proceeded to calculate how many megs of files I actually had.

"du" is a reliable way of doing that automatically (it also spots hard
links to avoid accounting for them twice).

> Only
> 1.8gig of files (including the .Journal) filled up my 5gig partition??

What do "df" and "df -i" say?  You could either have run out of inodes
or you've got a file which is still in use by some process after it
has been deleted.  Both of those are legitimate ways you can get
"ENOSPACE" errors while still apparently having disk space free.