Re: What was wrong with this sequence?

Hi,

On Fri, Oct 19, 2001 at 04:04:45PM -0400, John Ruttenberg wrote:

> Please, do you have a pointer to this bug so that I can find it and track it?
> I'm having trouble fining it in redhat's bugzilla.

It's something we've seen internally in testing, and I've been
tracking external reports on the linux-kernel list.  I'm not sure that
there's a bugzilla entry specifically for Red Hat: this seems to be
something that many 2.4 kernels are seeing on that hardware.

> This is what is there now that we are running 2.4.12-ac3:
>
>     Uniform Multi-Platform E-IDE driver Revision: 6.31
>     PIIX4: IDE controller on PCI bus 00 dev f9
>     PIIX4: chipset revision 3
>     PIIX4: not 100% native mode: will probe irqs later
>         ide0: BM-DMA at 0xbfa0-0xbfa7, BIOS settings: hda:DMA, hdb:DMA

> Perhaps the unknown IDE controller is significant?  Could be that we can
> enable DMA now that we are running a much more recent kernel?  I don't really
> know how to access this.  Does anybody else?

>From the log messages, it's already running with DMA.  hdparm can
verify that.

Are things solid with the newer kernel?  Have you stressed the fs much
with it?  It would be a useful data point if you see a repeatable
improvement with the newer kernel.