Re: invalidate: busy buffer

Chris Howells wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Since upgrading to 2.4.14 with the ext3 patch, I've been getting the
> following on bootup:
>
> VFS: Mounted root (ext3 filesystem) readonly.
> change_root: old root has d_count=5
> Trying to unmount old root ... invalidate: busy buffer
> invalidate: busy buffer
> invalidate: busy buffer
> invalidate: busy buffer
> invalidate: busy buffer
> okay
>
> Is the invalidate busy buffer bit anything to worry about?

I see to recall Linus saying that it's OK.  From my
reading it looks like the buffer still has a read underway
while we're unmounting, which seems sus to me.  Perhaps the
buffer lock is held for some other reason.  Or perhaps
we're just leaking the damn thing.

I've only previously seen it mentioned in the context of LVM.