2.4.14 + latest patch != ext3 support

Hello,

I just need a little clarification regarding applying the ext3 patch to the latest kernel.
I have 2.4.7-10 that came with RH 7.2.
I have ext3 running.
I need to upgrade those (to get some USB device working).

So I got the latest kernel, 2.4.14, patched it with the ext3-2.4-0.9.15-2414 patch, picked ext3 from 'make xconfig', built the kernel, but the new stuff in /boot, etc., however when I reboot I still see a message saying that this kernel does not support ext3.

Do I have to run tune2fs -j /dev/hdXX even though I had ext3 there before? /etc/fstab indicates ext3, as well.

Well, I tried it anyway:
# tune2fs -j /dev/hda5
tune2fs 1.23, 15-Aug-2001 for EXT2 FS 0.5b, 95/08/09
The filesystem already has a journal.

So, I'm wondering how come I can't get the kernel to support ext3 FS, basically :)

Does anyone (not) see a missing step?

Thanks,
Otis

iVillage.com: Solutions for Your Life