Re: 2.4.14 + latest patch != ext3 support

Hi,

On Wed, Nov 07, 2001 at 05:57:57AM -0800, otisg ivillage com wrote:

> So I got the latest kernel, 2.4.14, patched it with the ext3-2.4-0.9.15-2414 patch, picked ext3 from 'make xconfig', built the kernel, but the new stuff in /boot, etc., however when I reboot I still see a message saying that this kernel does not support ext3.

What message, exactly?

> Do I have to run tune2fs -j /dev/hdXX even though I had ext3 there before? /etc/fstab indicates ext3, as well.

No, you shouldn't ever have to touch the fs on kernel upgrade.

> So, I'm wondering how come I can't get the kernel to support ext3 FS, basically :)

Unpack, configure, compile, install is usually fine.  Make sure when
the kernel boots up that its version matches the version you're
expecting from the kernel you just built, in case it's a boot config
problem causing boot to pick up the wrong kernel.  The first line of
the boot messages should tell you which kernel version is booting, and
when it was compiled.