Re: Ext3 and external journals...

On Mon, Nov 05, 2001 at 11:17:58AM -0700, Andreas Dilger wrote:

> Note that external journals aren't really supported fully.  The e2fsck
> code does not yet work when e2fsck'ing a journal device directly.  What
> _should_ happen is that it goes out and e2fsck's all of the users of
> the journal, and any devices which can't be found (by UUID) have their
> journal data written to a file, and when they are e2fsck'd they first
> check for this journal file to recover their journal transactions.
>
> Granted that we are nowhere close to supporting shared external journals
> yet, but the basic support could be added (i.e. fsck'ing the journal
> device instead of the filesystem itself).

We really should make a distinction between shared journals and
external 1:1 journal.  The latter should work, except that it hasn't
received a lot of testing.  Shared journals were explicitly not
supported, and there's a bunch of work both in user space and kernel
space left to be done.

Changing things so that you run fsck on the journal device instead of
the filesystem is something we could easily do even before we have
full shared journal support, and it probably is a good idea for us to
support that and document that as the way to do external journals
before we start encouraging people to play with the code, just because
it means we won't have to deal with the support headache of getting
people to change their /etc/fstab files when we do finally get around
to adding support for shared journals.

That should be a fairly easy change....

						- Ted