Re: Ext3 and external journals...

Hi,

On Thu, Nov 08, 2001 at 02:55:25PM -0700, Andreas Dilger wrote:

> Hmm, a potential problem is that root must be mounted r/w in case
> the journal device needs to dump the contents for an unknown client
> filesystem.

Indeed.  Shared journal for the root device is a sure path to madness:
we have _got_ to be able to assume a writable root at that point.

> Having the journal device in passno=2 means it could
> be recovered out-of-order with the client filesystem because of
> device-sharing issues.  An easy solution is to put users of journal
> devices into passno=3, but it may be desirable to also have some
> safeguards in case people don't do this correctly (maybe have fsck
> or fsck.ext3 smart enough to block attempts to fsck the client before
> a shared journal).

Possible, but it's an ugly UI wart.  We really ought to be able to
find the journal, replay the specific components for a given client
fs, and mark the client and/or journal has being fully recovered for
that client only.  Even if you don't want to do that at boot time,
it's important to be able to do it from a rescue boot.