root fs mounts as ext2, others ext3

I have ext2 compiled in the kernel (so i can mount the initrd image), all other filesystems are modules. The initrd image contains aic7xxx, jbd, and ext3 modules.

/etc/mtab reports the filesystem mounted ext3
/proc/mounts reports it mounted ext2
/proc/filesystems lists ext3

If I umount other partitions that are ext3 the module becomes 'unused'.
The filesystem was created 'properly' with mke2fs -j, and mounts as ext3 if it is compiled in the kernel.

Question is: Am I doing something wrong, or is this a bug?
(The initrd boot procedure works with reiserfs)

Thanks,
	Andreas