RE: Software RAID and ext3 problem

I forgot to say that the /var partition is implemented as a RAID 1 array
(two identical partitions on two identical disks on different controllers -
on different Promise cards!).

I also follow HOWTOS - in this case the /var filesystem does have lots of
small files on it (the vast bulk of the files are news articles). So, I
think I'm justified in using 1Kb block size. The HOWTO doesn't say it's a
no-no... it just says that it influences performance. This is a home system,
so, I'm more interested in efficient use of the space rather than the high
performance offered by 4Kb.

I've been using this RAID setup for months (nearly six) under ext2. I've
only started to have problems since implementing ext3 on the filesystems
(one week ago - and I've had a problem every day since implementation, only
on the /var and /usr partitions). I've even copied the data elsewhere and
run mke2fs again to make sure that the fs was correct to start with. To me,
this rules out the IDE/controller being faulty or troublesome as I would
have had problems under ext2 if this was the case.

Now if somebody tells me that ext3, 1Kb blocksize and Software-RAID doesn't
work.... then I'll use 4Kb - but somehow, I think it should all work
together as it is.

To me this looks like some wierd timing thing, probably caused by load
(texpire causes load on the fs) and some interaction with software RAID and
ext3.

Thanks for the advice and help,

John.